Awards Program and Submission Process
The National Council for Geographic Education is dedicated to recognizing educators and advocates who have made outstanding contributions to geography education. Awards are given for teaching, research, and service. NCGE's highest award is the George J Miller Award, named for NCGE's founder and long-time editor of the Journal of Geography. Award nomination materials can be submitted in the spring to the NCGE Central Office. The materials are then forwarded to the appropriate committees for evaluation. Winners are announced in early summer and recipients are recognized at a special ceremony during NCGE's annual conference. Below is a complete list of awards.
- George J Miller Award for Distinguished Service to Geographic Education: the Council's highest award, for distinguished service in geographic education.
- Excellence of Scholarship Awards: recognizes graduating seniors majoring in geography for outstanding academic achievement.
- E. Willard and Ruby S. Miller Grants for Research in Geographic Education: to advance the frontiers of geographic education by supporting and promoting innovative research in theory, practice, and application.
- K-12 Distinguished Teaching Awards: to recognize and support excellence in geography teaching at the primary and secondary levels.
- Higher Education Distinguished Teaching Awards: to recognize and support excellence in higher education geography teaching.
- Salvatore J. Natoli Dissertation Award: to encourage dissertation research in geography teaching and learning.
- Herff Jones Nystrom / NCGE Award: provides a monetary award to a K-12 teacher for an exemplary lesson plan.
- Outstanding Support for Geography Education: honors individuals who work outside of the formal classroom, but have made outstanding contributions to support geography education.
- Distinguished Mentor Award: for College/University professors whose guidance and influence is significant for students becoming geographers and/or classroom teachers.
- Journal of Geography Awards: for outstanding papers published during the previous year in NCGE's flagship journal.
- The Geography Teacher Awards: for the article of significant value in the teaching of geography to K-12 students.
- Geographic Excellence in Media Award: for all forms of media that exhibit outstanding geographic content or teaching methods.
- Women in Geographic Education Scholarship: monetary award and travel stipend for a female undergraduate or graduate student enrolled in a program leading to a career in geographic education.