An NCGE Membership is a great investment in your personal professional development. Join the dedicated teachers, professors, administrators, geographers, government and business representatives committed to geography education. Membership with NCGE includes:
- The Journal of Geography (6 issues/per year), a scholarly, peer-reviewed journal designed for educators, offering the best in teaching and research advancements in geographic education. It's the oldest journal in the United States dedicated to the teaching of a specific school subject.
- The Geography Teacher (4 issues/per year), a publication that provides short articles, lesson plans, teaching tips, and news especially relevant for today’s K-12 and pre-service teachers.
- Access to journal article and publication archives.
- Weekly e-newsletter with geography education news, opportunities, and resources.
- A unique LIVE Webinar series covering a wide range of topics relevant to geography educators, providing an opportunity for our members to have direct access to learn from the best geography educators from around the world.
- Access to the complete Webinar archives.
- Leadership and professional development opportunities: Members can volunteer to consult on NCGE projects, be on task forces, committees, and run for elected positions on the Executive Planning Board. NCGE hosts the annual National Conference on Geography Education. The conference is a unique forum for educators to learn about the latest research in geography education, participate in interactive sessions, and network with colleagues who share the same passion for geography education. Members receive up to 30% savings on conference registration fees.
- Members are kept up-to-date with the latest legislation and education policy developments. Members benefit from NCGE’s connection to other professional geography and education organizations, and cross pollination of ideas and collaborative study opportunities are available.
- Members receive substantial discounts on publications purchased from the NCGE On-line Store.
- NCGE Member Insurance Program, and National Geographic Federal Credit Union Membership opportunities.
- Much more!
NCGE Future GeoLeader Program--Providing FREE Student Membership!
We recently launched our NCGE Future GeoLeader Program, which provides free NCGE membership to students. This program aims to help emerging education leaders meet the challenges of teaching geography in the 21st century, and strengthen the geographic education community and its efforts. Find out more information here.
NCGE / State Alliance Membership Program
The National Council for Geographic Education has a partnership with the National Geographic’s Network of Alliances for Geographic Education. An Alliance-Affiliated Membership category has been created for new and returning members who are affiliated with a participating Alliance. Individuals who join or renew their NCGE memberships through this new program will receive all the benefits of membership, plus an additional conference registration discount, all for the low annual membership rate of $50 (for as long as the partnership remains in effect). Learn more here.
At this time, our participating alliances are: Mississippi Geographic Alliance, Virginia Geographic Alliance, Center for Geography Education in Oregon, Pennsylvania Alliance for Geographic Education, Colorado Geographic Alliance, New Mexico Geographic Alliance, West Virginia Geographic Alliance, North Dakota Geographic Alliance, Wyoming Geographic Alliance, Geographic Educators of Nebraska, South Carolina Geographic Alliance, Utah Geographic Alliance, Geographic Alliance In Nevada, Texas Alliance for Geographic Education, North Carolina Geographic Alliance, Oklahoma Alliance for Geographic Education, Alabama Geographic Alliance, Wisconsin Geographic Alliance, New England Geography Education Network
Honoring Longtime NCGE Members
NCGE is a member driven organization, and we are only as good as our people. We have been fortunate to have such great members over the years, some of which have been with us for an extremely long time. We would like to recognize and honor all of the members that have been with us over the years, and have helped in bringing us to where we are today. Here you can find a list of our longtime members.
"I learned about NCGE in 1987, joined, and discovered a bank of remarkable folks to learn from and share with. Buried treasure! A whole organization of people who saw the world with a geographic eye, and wanted to share it. "
~ Charlie Fitzpatrick, K12 Education Manager at Esri
Read more member testimonials here!
- Join now and become a member of a passionate international community of geography education leaders! Receive all of the benefits that NCGE membership offers. Learn more about the variety of membership types available here. *Please note that the New Membership option is only available to individuals that have never been NCGE members before.
- If you would prefer to email (or mail) a completed membership form to us, you can find a downloadable membership form here.
- NCGE works with the National Geographic Network of Alliances to provide memberships at discounted rates for members of participating alliances.
- Our NCGE Future GeoLeader Program provides free membership for students. Learn more and apply here.
- If you have any questions regarding membership, please contact us at (202) 587-5727; email@example.com.
Sign up to receive our Advanced Placement ® Human Geography Bell-Ringers! "Bell-Ringers" are daily questions delivered each week via email for your Advanced Placement Human Geography classes!