Why go to the Amazon? The reasons are endless!
When you are there you will see and feel and smell and hear our world like you never have before. It will touch you in ways you never imagined. You will see how the extreme geography of the Loreto region of Peru effects every aspect of life from food & education, to biodiversity & use of habitat, to electricity, WIFI and healthcare. A place where the endless wonder of nature and the endearing quality of the local people will capture your heart, engage your imagination and change you.
Spend Nine magical Days exploring Iquitos, Peru and the Loreto Region of the Amazon
Monday, July 18 – Wednesday, July 27, 2022
(Includes travel days)
This NCGE GeoCamp-Amazon is a place-based intensive short course in geographic inquiry and field methods for in-service teachers and education professionals. The extraordinary wonders of life in the Loredo region of Peru, including Iquitos and the Peruvian Amazon are our classroom. All seven essential elements of geography will be incorporated as we explore how plants, animals, and humans interact in this extreme environment.
WHO CAN ATTEND: Up to 24 K-12 educators or higher education faculty who teach any of the social studies, earth or environmental sciences, or any subject where the applicant can make an explicit connection to the National Geography Standards within his/her curriculum.
After experiencing NCGE GeoCamp Amazon students will be able to:
- Make connections between the Amazon and their own home
- Teach about a place or region through a geographic perspective
- Ask and answer geographic questions using GIS
- Design geographic activities for their students modeled on experience
- Have a connection to someone who can help plan an adventure for your own students
Answering the Big Questions:
- Where is the Amazon?
- Why teach about the Amazon?
- What is there?
- Why take care of it?
- How can we care for the Amazon from home?
COST: $3000. Fee includes lodging, meals, tour fees, ground and water transportation, course materials, honoraria for expert guides, and presentations. Participants may budget extra for incidentals and souvenirs. Airfare is not included but assistance and advice will be offered and available.
Required Pre-Trip Webinars:
- Session 1: Geographic Location and Climate, How to pack for the Jungle and Jungle Logistics
- Session 2: Animals, Plants, and Systems of the Amazon
- Session 3: People, Villages, Language and Culture of the Amazon