APHG mirrors a typical undergraduate level Introduction to Human Geography course and covers the following seven units:
- The geographic perspective;
- Cultural patterns and processes
- Political organization of space
- Agricultural and rural land use
- Industrialization and economic development
- Cities and urban land use
This course should help students understand how cultural, economic and political systems relate to the distribution of human activities, the nature of places, and people’s interaction with their environment.
In addition to mastering the course content, each student should be prepared to pass the national college-level Advanced Placement Examination in May. Students may be eligible for college credit for successfully completing the exam. This course should prepare students to enroll in intermediate and advanced level human geography courses at the college level.