Geography weaves the relationships between the human and physical aspects of our world. The knowledge of geography empowers citizens and encourages responsible decision-making. The Geography Educators’ Network of Indiana enthusiastically equips educators with distinctive resources, connections, and teaching concepts. Indiana, thus, becomes a more effective participant in the global society. Because the study of Geography helps people understand, think knowledgeably, and make decisions about the world in which they live, and because Indiana interacts with the world at large, and every citizen in the state needs to be geographically literate, the Geography Educators’ Network of Indiana (GENI) exists to
- a network of K-12 educators and university geographers;
- promote the value and significance of geography in Indiana,
- ensure the inclusion of Geography in the curricula of Indiana’s kindergarten through twelfth grade schools, colleges and universities,
- provide opportunities focused on Geography training for Indiana educators, and
- create and make available materials for the teaching and learning of Geography in Indiana.